Sun, 01 Nov 2020

PHNOM PENH, Oct. 1 (Xinhua) -- Cambodia's famed Angkor Archeological Park attracted 396,241 international visitors during the first nine months of 2020, down 76 percent over the same period last year, said the state-owned Angkor Enterprise's statement Thursday.

The park made 18.45 million U.S. dollars in revenue from ticket sales during the January-September period this year, also down 75 percent year-on-year, said the statement.

In September alone, the site received 2,948 foreigners earning 124,296 dollars from ticket sales, down 97.3 percent and 97.4 percent, respectively compared to the same month last year, it said.

Situated in northwest Siem Reap province, the Angkor Archeological Park, inscribed on the World Heritage List of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1992, is the kingdom's most popular tourist destination.

The remarkable slump in the number of foreign tourists to the park was due to the COVID-19 pandemic that has forced the country to impose entry restrictions for all foreign travelers since March.

The Southeast Asian nation has so far recorded a total of 277 confirmed COVID-19 cases, said a Ministry of Health's statement on Thursday, adding that none have died and 275 have recovered.

More Cambodia News

Access More

Sign up for The Cambodia News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!