Sun, 12 Jul 2020

PHNOM PENH, June 1 (Xinhua) -- Cambodia's famed Angkor Archeological Park received 386,093 foreign tourists during the first five months of 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, down 65 percent over the same period last year, said a statement on Monday.

The ancient park earned gross revenue of 18.02 million U.S. dollars from ticket sales during the January-May period this year, down 64 percent over the same period last year, said the state-owned Angkor Enterprise's statement.

The park attracted 1,776 foreigners and earned 72,037 U.S. dollars from ticket sales in May, down 98.7 percent and 98.8 percent respectively compared to the same month last year.

Situated in northwest Siem Reap province, the Angkor Archeological Park, inscribed on the World Heritage List of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1992, is one of the kingdom's most popular tourist destinations.

The remarkable decline in foreign tourists to the park was due to the COVID-19 pandemic that forced the country to impose entry restrictions for all foreign travelers since late March to stem the virus spread.

According to the Ministry of Health, the Southeast Asian country has recorded a total of 125 confirmed cases of the virus to date, with 123 patients cured.

More Cambodia News

Access More

Sign up for The Cambodia News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!